Game 97: Dominion

 As I mentioned in my previous post, Dominion is a game that our family latched onto quite a few years ago and played over and over and over and over.  It's a deck-building game, and you have a variety of sets of cards to choose from each time you play, so there is a lot of variety possible.  We purchased quite a few expansions (pictured below) and had fun mixing and matching with that.  In the last year or two I haven't been able to get my boys to play this game.  I'm not sure if we just over-played it early on, or if this has to do with Caleb generally having a masterful winning strategy that leaves us all waiting while he takes his massively long turns (which perhaps he also is bored with).  Two weeks ago I had opportunity to go to a colleague's house for a game day.  The group hadn't played this game, so I brought it along.  I was happy for a chance to play again.  It's definitely a good game, and it even won the Spiel des Jahres Kritikerpreis in 2009.
 Since I hadn't played in a couple of years, and since for some reason it makes me nervous to explain games to gamers, I just used the basic set up from the original set for our first game.  It seemed a bit monotonous and slow to build, but it was probably because of the basic set up.
 The group was willing to play one more game.  Noticing that Austin likes to go PVP I put in a few more attack cards the second time around, but I also included a moat for protection.  It was a better, more interesting game, the second time around.
 Thanks to my friends and colleagues for allowing me opportunity to engage in this game again!

Comments

  1. My favorite game of all time. I prefer playing it IRL, but the newest online implementation at dominion.games is really good. More importantly, my oldest son will play it with me online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEA!! It IS a good game, isn't it?! I've never looked into it online . . . good to know about. Last weekend was the CMC^3 conference. We have such good memories of meeting you there. We brought a bag of games again but didn't get to play much. We did introduce some folks to "No Thanks," though, and a good time was had by all! Merry Christmas to you - and may you receive many games!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BONUS: Special Events - CMC^3 and Thanksgiving

Game 4: Huggermugger

Game 118: Cities and Knights of Catan