Game 119: Exit - The Forbidden Castle

 

Amazing - the game designers have put the "escape room" experience into a board game!  I really enjoyed this - solving all the riddles and puzzles in order to try to escape the forbidden castle.  I felt that there was good variety in the puzzles and that we really needed the team effort in order to figure everything out.  As I say so often, I love cooperative games.  One of my sons was less impressed with this one, feeling that some of the puzzles were rather contrived or a bit clunky.  So I guess for our family the verdict is out.  Something that was a bummer for me is that this is a one-off.  Once you play it, you can never play it again, both because you've figured out all the riddles and also because you've had to destroy some of the items (cards, instruction manual, etc.) in order to do so!  Honestly, I think it was a great game, and I did enjoy it very much, but I really like games that are re-playable over and over, and I don't like waste.  Recently there have been "legacy" games and, now, "exit" games that are "one and done."  This one is only about $14, and you'd pay more than that for a family group to do an escape room, so  .  .  .  you know  .  .  .  fair enough.  Since this game does consist of riddles and puzzles I need to be a bit careful about my posting, so probably fewer pictures than usual here.  I'll try not to post pictures that will give anything away.  (Any work of ours that I share might be right or might be wrong; it's just our scratch work.)





Well, that's probably all I should share, given the nature of the game.  We do have one other "exit game."  The other is Exit: The Abandoned Cabin.  I, for one, am eager to give it a try!

ASIDE - as I updated my "List" post I notice this is the first game we've played that begins with the letter E.  Tied for first are C and S with 17 games each out of our 119 game so far.  We are only missing games beginning with U or V or X or Z at this point.  I may just have to search our shelves specifically for such games in order to fill those gaps!  (Wow, have we not played Upwords?!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BONUS: Special Events - CMC^3 and Thanksgiving

Game 4: Huggermugger

Game 118: Cities and Knights of Catan