Game 112: Charterstone Legacy Game

 Caleb gave this game to David for his birthday last week.  We opened it Saturday and played the first round.  It is a legacy game - in other words, a game that will be built as we play over a series of gaming sessions.  As a family we've played one other legacy game, Pandemic Legacy.  That game was cooperative; this one is competitive.  I prefer cooperative games, but a nice feature of this game is that once we build the board (the village) in our first play-through, we will have created a game that we can continue to play in the future.  With Pandemic Legacy, that wasn't the case; once we played through it, it was just done and unable to be played again.  It was a great game - one of my absolute favorite gaming experiences ever - but it's certainly a bummer that we can't play it again.  There are pros and cons to everything, I guess.  With Charterstone, we have only played the first round, which seems to be mostly intended to just get us used to the mechanics and such.  I don't really have an idea yet of what the win condition is or of any sort of goal I should be shooting for.  I was really tired when we played, so I was barely grasping the basic rules, which is frustrating, but something about the game drew me in nonetheless, and I woke up the next morning thinking about it.  I'm looking forward to moving on into this game and seeing what it has to offer.  As we do continue gaming, I will post more pictures and more information.  The photos that are up here are just of the initial opening and set-up.

 As with Pandemic Legacy, you get to name the people and places in the game.  It took me the whole round, but I decided that my character, seen on the card at the left below, shall be named "Sophie."  I've got the forest region and am not yet sure what I will name that area.

Anthony and fam were visiting from LA.  The other guys don't like me taking pictures of their faces when we play, so I'm glad he was "game" to get his face in the photo!

UPDATE: Here's what the board looks like after game 8.

I keep forgetting to have my camera handy as we play.  As well as building the board game-by-game, we also get new minions and tokens and cards and such.  I'll try to have the camera handy next time so I can show all the associated "toys" as well.

UPDATE 2: We played game 9 tonight, August 12, 2020, and I finally felt like I really have the hang of this.  I got a lot of good combos going with my cards and buildings, and that helped me get lots of "goodies" during the game, which sets me up well for the next game.  
 I get a little messier with my pieces mid-game:
 Jacob opened a create, so we got new cards and such:
 Here's my view of the board from my corner of the world:

There's a new twist each time, sometimes larger, sometimes smaller.  Here's the card giving us temporary directions for this game:
And so the candle is lit  .  .  .
  .  .  .  and so it burns as we hold our breaths (or not) and hope it does not go out on our turn.

The candle did not burn out on anyone's turn; it burned for the whole game!  So we blew it out at the end, and we all got a victory and the condition that was under the scratch-off on the card, which will remain secret so as not to spoil it.  We now have three more games in Legacy mode.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BONUS: Special Events - CMC^3 and Thanksgiving

Game 4: Huggermugger

Game 118: Cities and Knights of Catan