Game 78: No Thanks!

 No Thanks is a game that was introduced to us by Adam back in December at a math conference.  David got it for me as a late Christmas gift, but by the time it got here all our kids had left again.  This is a 3-7 player game, so we had to wait to get together with friends in order to play.  The game is incredibly simple to learn, but we are still struggling with what the most successful strategies might be for the win.  We played this a couple of weeks ago with a group of 4, and we played it again this last weekend with a group of 6, and we've found that it has a rather different feel depending on the number of players.
My set (above) has a different style than Adam's set (below).  The chips in his set are more like mini-poker chips, and in our set they are like Go stones.  Also, the cards in my set have quotes surrounding the center that kind of taunt players regarding whether or not to take the card.
 I'm not sure how well you can read the slogans around the outside of my set, but I've taken a few pictures of cards just in case.  Below this picture is one of a single card.

 We have found we can tend to do phenomenally well in one game and then disastrously poorly in the next.  I posted a picture similar to the one below in my previous post - David admitting his loss.  When we played this past weekend, I won the first round with a score of 6 (low score wins), but in the second round I had 40, and the winner had a score of 3.  Go figure!
 We're eager to play more and to see if we can come up with strategies that hold up game-to-game and even independently of the number of players. We shall see how successful we are!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BONUS: Special Events - CMC^3 and Thanksgiving

Game 4: Huggermugger

Game 118: Cities and Knights of Catan