Game 41: Sagrada

 Sagrada is quite possibly the most visually gorgeous game I have ever played.  This is an early birthday gift from Caleb to me and David.  It allows for 1 to 4 players, so David and I can play with just the two of us when we're back to empty-nesting.  The idea is that players are building a stained glass window in a cathedral.  The building is done with brilliantly-colored translucent dice.  I love dice and cathedrals and Alan Parson's Project (whose song La Sagrada Familia was running through my head the whole time I was playing!) and the act of creation, so what's not to like about this game?
 We played with four people today.  Each of us had our own window to build.  There are a variety of limitations and of goals that cause you to reach for certain possibilities and to have to block out others.  There is one private goal for each person, and there are a multiplicity of public goals.  Along with the goals and limitations, each turn involves the rolling of dice, so there is an element of chance as well.  The picture below is of the window I was building - with the template slid into place.  The colors and numbers on the template provide some of the limits in the game.
 The cards set out below are tools and goals.  The top row of cards gives goals for everyone to shoot for.  When scoring is done at the end of the game you get points (as shown on cards) for the number of times you have accomplished the task.  The bottom row of cards gives tools - allowing re-rolls of all dice, re-roll of one die, or the opportunity to choose twice in a row from the dice rolled for that turn.  You have to pay to use these tools.  The clear tokens serve as your money for this.
  Below are pictures of my window - partway through and then completed.  I thought for sure I could finish my window, but I ended up with two open spots because by the time I got my choice of dice in the last turn I needed a purple and a yellow, and there were only blue and green dice left.

I'm eager to play more so I can get a better sense of strategy.  With multiple ways to earn points, some of them conflicting with each other, and with the possibility of eliminating later options by earlier choices, there is a lot to think about.  Thanks Caleb!  We love the game and will be playing it lots!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BONUS: Special Events - CMC^3 and Thanksgiving

Game 4: Huggermugger

Game 118: Cities and Knights of Catan