Game 17: Settlers of Catan

 Coincidentally, though he hadn't read my last post in which I dissed this game a bit, Caleb asked today to play Catan.  SURE!!  It really is a great game despite the one flaw I mentioned in my previous post, and we used to play it incessantly as a family a decade or so ago.  It's a very well constructed resource-management game.  Today's game was very competitive.  I thought I had it in the bag, but I made a major error late in the game, and Caleb was able to stage a quick turn-around to claim victory! 
 This is not our original version.  I like the artwork and the structure of the original better, but we played it so much that the cards got all gross and sticky.
 We have a variety of expansions as well that I will post about as they come up.
 Though not perfect, it's definitely a very good game.  I would call it a modern classic.  Apparently the designers of the game feel the same way given that our box included the bumper sticker pictured below calling Catan "The Game of Our Generation!"
Apparently our family and the designers are not the only ones who think highly of this game.  It won 9 major gaming awards between 1995 and 2015.  The 2015 award was the GamesCon Vegas Game of the Century.  Now that's saying something!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BONUS: Special Events - CMC^3 and Thanksgiving

Game 4: Huggermugger

Game 118: Cities and Knights of Catan