Game 103: The Quacks of Quedlinburg

 It has been way, way, WAY too long since we've played a not-yet-posted game from our shelves!  It's been too long since I've played pretty much anything, honestly.  I'm on sabbatical, and my college is sure getting its money's worth out of me given how hard I work at sabbatical studies!  Anyway  .  .  .  this is a GREAT game.  It could be that I enjoyed it that much more, being my first recreation in a while, but I actually requested to play two back-to-back games and would have liked to play more because I felt immediately addicted to it.  It's pretty fast-paced.  Also, everyone plays at the same time, so you're never waiting for anyone.  There are lots of options even in the basic set-up, but the game comes with what I would consider built-in expansions, so there's a lot of variety already without having to buy another box of stuff.  I lost the first game by a significant margin, but I tied my son in the second game as I began to get a feeling for the strategy.  But even when I was losing I was excited because you get good stuff each turn even if you are losing, and there are built-in ways to gain advantages if you are behind, so it's a game where hope is never lost.  I sense that the person with the better strategy is still going to win, but there are definitely ways to turn the tables.
 I just took a few quick pics.  The above is an over all look and below is a closer look at the center of the action.
 Below is a picture of my individual game board at the end of one round.
I like the quality of the game pieces.  I find the board and the smaller elements pretty elegant (if I can use the word "elegant" with a game about "quacks").  Oh, and the basic idea is that you're brewing potion.  At the end of each round you have options for buying ingredients to help you do better as the game continues.  Different ingredients yield different advantages, and some work together better than others.  I fly out for my sabbatical travels a week from tomorrow, but I hope to play this game quite a few more times before I leave if I can work it in!

Post Script:  I've already looked into gaming possibilities for while I'm gone, and Dark Sphere in London looks like a good place for me to do some Friday Night Magic or maybe take part in the upcoming MTG release event: Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths.  If I do, I'll post it here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BONUS: Special Events - CMC^3 and Thanksgiving

Game 4: Huggermugger

Game 118: Cities and Knights of Catan